Backyard cricket, barbeques, 40-degree summer heat and swimming pools are the epitome of Aussie lifestyle. As Australian swimming pool ownership increases each year, we’re clocking up to nearly 2.7 million Australians living in a house with a swimming pool, with more than 374,000 pool owners in NSW alone. That’s a lot of pool safety.

But let’s start at the beginning where the fascinating tale of Pool Safety stars 3 major characters:

  1. Pool (Property) Owners
  2. E1 Certifiers, and
  3. Local Authority

The principal roles of local authority – aka council – are to act as the enforcer for government including management of its area at a local level. Specifically, councils are concerned with matters close to our homes, from building regulations and development to public health, local roads and footpaths, parks and playing fields, libraries, local environmental issues, waste disposal, and many more community services. Council are particularly responsible for managing any risks associated with a property – from building and construction to pool safety.

The Building Professionals Amendment (Accredited Certifiers) Regulation 2014 and amendments to the Building Professionals Board’s Accreditation Scheme saw the creation of the E1 – Swimming Pool Certification category. E1 certifiers joined existing A1, A2 and A3 certifiers and authorised council officers to

  1. inspect pools, spas and barriers and
  2. lodge the inspection and details through the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

From 29 April 2016, NSW laws were adjusted so residential properties with a swimming pool or spa pool needed a certificate of compliance for the pool barrier before the property could be leased or sold.

A Pool Owner is obligated to

  • register their pool through the NSW Swimming Pool Register
  • appoint and enter into a contract with their chosen certifier – be it council or private
  • pay the certifier’s fees before any certification work is carried out
  • ensure their pool barrier continues to comply at all times

While these points seem really easy and straight forward, we know anything to do with standards and regulations are anything but – especially when it comes to just understanding which standards your pool fall under depending upon on the property and pool type you own and the years the pool and/or barriers were built or installed.

So What Is The Council Pool Safety Inspection Program?

Local council initiated the Swimming Pool Safety Inspection Program encouraging pool owners to be pool compliant.

This means councils have decided pools can be inspected under the following circumstances:

  1. Where the inspection is compulsory because of the property type – be it multi-occupancy such as strata, or tourist and visitor accommodation, such as hotels
  2. As part of a local council’s adopted inspection program
  3. At your request, for example, prior to the sale or lease of your property

For Cases 1 and 2, council contacts the property owner by direct mail.

For Case 3, the property owner can contact an E1 Certifier – council or private – for a pool safety inspection.

Really, council wants to be reassured the risk of the non-compliant pool, spa and barriers are being managed, and who is managing the risk of the non-compliant pool, spa and barrier through the sale of property – whether it’s the seller or purchaser. If your pool, spa and barriers are not compliant, by law, 6 weeks after your first inspection, council must be notified.

As a result of the Council Pool Safety Inspection Program, pool safety has become much more of an issue – not just to the property owner, but to their tenants (if leasing) and the community. And with so many pools to inspect, E1 certifiers – both council and private – have quite the job ahead of them.


Got A Letter From Council? Here’s What Happens Next

As part of the local council’s adopted inspection program, council can reach out to pool owners by mail with a Pool Safety Order Reminder for directions their pool, spa and barriers must be inspected for compliance.

If you receive a direction in the mail from your local authority, council notes you can use any E1 Certifier – be it council or private. So here’s what you can do:

  1. Contact your local Pool Safety Inspector – like us! – to book in an inspection within the next 48 business hours – or even a same day inspection if you’re lucky.
  2. Read through our DIY Pool Safety Evaluation with the Ultimate PoolSS Safety Checklist.

    TIPS: Look out for gates that are not self-closing, trees and vegetation in climbable zones, fences not the correct height, gaps in between and under fences and lack of CPR signs.
    The Pool Safety Solutions Free Online Resource has handy reading material for the
    • NCZ Non-Climbable Zone
    • Ultimate Guide To NSW Pool Fences & Barriers, and
    • CPR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Signage


  3. Pool inspection takes place
  4. Pool Safety Inspector lodges the inspection through the NSW Pool Register and takes care of all the council details for you
  5. Providing everything is compliant, certificate is issued – perhaps even on the same-day if you’re lucky
  6. If you are not compliant, your Pool Safety Inspector emails you a detailed report including photos with descriptions and explanations on rectifications – and access to professional tradespeople who understand the pool laws to repair your rectifications

But most importantly, don’t stress. You are the property owner and have your rights – particularly when it comes to allowing anyone/someone to enter your property. No one can bully or intimidate you into entering your property. No one. Ever.

Your certificate of non-compliance is valid for 12 months, allowing you the time to repair any rectifications.

If council contact you during these 12 months, you simply have to reassure them the rectification works are underway, and once completed, your friendly private pool inspector – like us! – will be issuing the certificate of compliance.

Council just want to be reassured your pool, spa and barriers aren’t being left non-compliant and a risk to public safety. And we can do that by keeping them informed when they enquire.

It’s all about keeping pool compliance simple.

Do You Have Council Pool Safety Questions?

All the Council FAQs you could ever ask – right here


Need Pool Safety Help?

Pool Safety Solutions brings you peace of mind to the safety of your pool, spa and barriers and works to getting you compliant as soon as possible to NSW Government Standards. 

We help you reach compliance with

  • a Free First Inspection. Always.
  • a detailed report including photos with descriptions and explanations on rectifications
  • access to preferred tradies who understand the pool laws to repair any necessary rectifications
  • our 2-Inspection Compliance Guarantee, which sees you reach compliance within 2 inspections when using our preferred tradies to complete rectifications for $299+GST

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers.

contact-poolsafetysoutions-button      book-a-free-inspection-poolsafetysoutions-button

error: Content is protected !!